How to use the 360 feedback report in a feedback-review meeting with the employeeOpen full view...
Categories: View and share results: Best practice
As you collect feedback about an employee, their 360 feedback report is automatically generated online. It is recommended that you give the opportunity for the employee to have a 1-2-1 review meeting with a coach or line manager to discuss the results and support the development of their personal development plan. Below, we provide guidance on how to prepare, conduct and follow-up from this meeting.
Prepare for the feedback-review
Plan when and how feedback will be delivered:
- Will the report be sent in advance?
- Will the content of the report be checked by HR / line manager before it is shared with the employee?
- When will the line manager / coach meet with the individual to review the feedback?
- How will you communicate the above to the employee?
- What should the employee aim to achieve using the feedback? (E.g. Develop personal development plan for next 6 months)
- What will the role of the coach / line manager be? (E.g. Ask questions only / Suggest actions etc)
- Will the coach / line manager see the feedback in advance, and what is expected of this review?
- Will the coach / line manager have access to a details of development resources that they can share with the employee?
Conduct the feedback session
Normally, the aim of the 360 feedback review session is to develop a plan of action that the employee can take to further their personal and career development. See video: The REAL goal of the feedback-review (360 Academy)
As a result, the employee and coach should aim to:
- Focus on identifying just 2-3 areas to improve
- Use the 5 whys to diagnose the root causes (check this video on the 5 whys!)
- Spend more time on the plan than reviewing the feedback
- Find more than one solution to each area to improve
- Plan how to 'make it happen'
You can read more about each of these steps here: Turn Feedback into Action (T&D Insight's Blog)
Follow-up after the review meeting
There are many ways in which the organization and the line manager / coach can support the employee in delivering against their personal development plan. You can see some suggestions in this video: Make Sure Employees Take Action (360 Academy)